Questions Frequently Asked By Tenants

Q. What period of Tenancy will I have to take?

A. Most landlords require a tenant to take a tenancy for a minimum of 6 months. Although you would be able to move out before the end of that period, you will still have to pay the rent for 6 months unless the landlord agrees to re-let the property. In that case you may be released from the tenancy if a new tenant can be found.

Q. What happens if I want to stay longer than 6 months?

A. Some landlords only want to let short term. Others may be prepared to let for several years and we will advise you what the position is at the start of the tenancy (if we know). If the tenancy is conducted properly and the rent is paid many landlords will be happy to renew the tenancy for a further period of 6 to 12 months.

Q. What do I have to do to rent a property through Tuffins?

A. After you have viewed a property and have decided that you want a tenancy, you will have to complete an application form which we will submit to a referencing agency. This will check your salary with your employer, check your history with any previous landlord and check for County Court judgements. If you do not pass this referencing it is unlikely that you will be offered a tenancy through Tuffins. If you do pass, we will obtain confirmation from the landlord that the tenancy can proceed, prepare the agreement and set up the tenancy.

Q. Do I have to pay anything when I apply for a tenancy?

A. You will have to pay a holding deposit of £100 when you complete your application, which will reserve the property for you. You must also pay our administrative fee of £132 including VAT at this time to cover referencing and our administrative fees. If your application is turned down by the landlord your £100 will be returned, but if you withdraw the application you will not get your £100 back. Fees are not refundable once your application has been processed.

Q. What do I have to pay when the tenancy is approved?

A. You will be required to pay a security deposit of about 6 weeks rent but your £100 holding deposit will be set against this. In addition you will have to pay the first month's rent in advance. If you want immediate access to the property, these amounts will have to be paid in cash or by banker's draft or by debit or credit card. Debit card is free but please note there will be a charge of 3% of the payment for credit cards. Otherwise we will need 5 working days for cheques to clear before you will be permitted to occupy the property.

Q. Do I get the security deposit back?

A. Provided that you leave the property in acceptable condition and have no rent arrears at the end of the tenancy, your security deposit will be returned to you in full within about 10 working days after the end of the tenancy.

Q. How do I pay future rents?

A. You will be required to pay rent during the tenancy by standing order direct to our bank account and a standing order mandate will be completed as part of the tenancy paperwork.

Q. Do Tuffins accept tenants who receive Housing Benefit?

A. Some landlords are willing to accept tenants paying by Housing Benefit. The decision rests with the landlord. As the rent is often delayed or benefit may be stopped if a tenant's circumstances change we normally require a guarantor, to accept responsibility for payment of the rent if the tenant is unable to pay.

Q. What happens if I have a pet?

A. Most landlords do not accept dogs or cats but other domestic pets may be acceptable. If a landlord does agree to accept a pet this may be on the basis that an additional deposit is paid to cover the cost of possible carpet cleaning, flea dis-infestation or deodorising at the end of your tenancy.

Q. What do I do if there is a repair needed?

A. If the landlord has asked us only to find a tenant and we are not managing the property you will have to contact the landlord direct. If we are managing the property and are collecting rent from you, you should contact us and we will arrange for someone to call to deal with the problem. If it is an emergency, outside of office hours, you should call one of our approved contractors. You should not, unless it is absolutely essential, arrange repairs yourself without our approval as you will then be responsible for paying the contractor.

Q. I need to arrange contents insurance. Can you help me?

A. We can arrange contents insurance for you through our agency with Homelet Insurance Services, which is specially designed for tenants. Please call us for details and premium rates.

Copyright © Tuffin & Co Property Management Ltd 2014

Company No: 6663096

VAT: 941 7481 11

Terms & ConditionsPrivacy Policy